In recent years, there has been a significant shift towards healthier and more nutritious eating habits. People are increasingly seeking out alternative ingredients that provide essential nutrients without compromising on taste. One such ingredient that has gained popularity is ragi flour, also known as finger millet flour. Packed with numerous health benefits, ragi flour is an excellent choice for incorporating into your diet. In this blog, we will walk you through a delightful recipe for a ragi cake, brought to you by NutriTokri, combining the goodness of ragi flour with the indulgence of a moist and delicious cake.
- 1 cup NutriTokri’s ragi flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (you can adjust the quantity as per your preference)
- 1/4 cup melted butter or ghee
- 1 cup milk (you can use almond milk or any plant-based milk as a dairy-free option)
- 2 eggs (for a vegan version, substitute with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting (optional):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons milk (as needed)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and prepare a cake pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ragi flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well to ensure all the dry ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs (or applesauce/banana for a vegan version) and brown sugar until well combined. Add the melted butter (or ghee) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk. Mix well after each addition, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, you can prepare the optional frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding more milk if needed.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, frost the cooled cake with the prepared frosting. You can also decorate it with chopped nuts, chocolate shavings, or fresh berries.
- Slice and serve this delectable ragi cake as a nutritious treat that satisfies both your taste buds and your health-conscious mindset.
With this delightful recipe for ragi cake, NutriTokri encourages you to embrace the goodness of ragi flour and enjoy a wholesome dessert without compromising on taste. Ragi flour provides an array of health benefits, including high fiber content, essential amino acids, calcium, iron, and antioxidants. By incorporating ragi flour into your baking, you can create nutritious and delicious treats that are sure to impress. So, go ahead and give this ragi cake recipe a try, and let it be a sweet addition to your healthy lifestyle. Happy baking!